Point Books In Pursuance Of Mississippi Trial, 1955
| Original Title: | Mississippi Trial, 1955 |
| ISBN: | 0142501921 (ISBN13: 9780142501924) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Literary Awards: | Jefferson Cup, Golden Sower Award, IRA Children’s and Young Adult’s Book Award for Young Adult–Fiction (2003) |
Chris Crowe
Paperback | Pages: 240 pages Rating: 3.88 | 2863 Users | 713 Reviews

Be Specific About Out Of Books Mississippi Trial, 1955
| Title | : | Mississippi Trial, 1955 |
| Author | : | Chris Crowe |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 240 pages |
| Published | : | November 24th 2003 by Speak (first published May 27th 2002) |
| Categories | : | Historical. Historical Fiction. Young Adult. Fiction. Academic. School |
Chronicle As Books Mississippi Trial, 1955
Winner of the 2003 International Reading Association Award for Young Adult NovelAt first Hiram is excited to visit his hometown in Mississippi. But soon after he arrives, he crosses paths with Emmett Till, a black teenager from Chicago who is also visiting for the summer, and Hiram sees firsthand how the local whites mistreat blacks who refuse to "know their place." When Emmett's tortured dead body is found floating in a river, Hiram is determined to find out who could do such a thing. But what will it cost him to know? Mississippi Trial, 1955 is a gripping read, based on true events that helped spark the Civil Rights Movement.
Rating Out Of Books Mississippi Trial, 1955
Ratings: 3.88 From 2863 Users | 713 ReviewsEvaluation Out Of Books Mississippi Trial, 1955
Childhood in the south has never been better for a young boy named Hirim. Having spent a considerable amount of time being raised by his grandparents, (while his dad was first away for war, then second away for school) Hirim enjoyed the luxury of home cooked meals, fishing and spending time in the fields drinking lemonade with his grandfather. All of that changed though when his dad moved him to Arizona for reasons that Hirim at the time was too young to understand. Now seven years later HirimThis book is a great for any reader as it is an interesting story. This book showed the tension between races in the past. This made the story feel very real. The book is a historical fiction novel that is set in the past, the book perfectly sets up the setting for a small southern american town during that time period. The story is interesting as you can see how a young white boy isn't like his ancestors he is a just man who wants to help. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to read an
Ok, so I personally read this book in about three english classes. I found it an easy read. In my school district when you're in eight grade you have to read this along with many others. If it wasn't for my English teacher telling us we had to read it I would have never picked this book up on my own. Over all I have to say to I liked this book. This book is the story if Hiram Hillburn's life as a child and young adult the Missippi. The struggle for knowledge and the closeness of his grandfather

Don't get me wrong- the whole theme of the book is great but it just wasn't compelling enough of a story for me. I feel like it wasn't engaging for me as a reader. To be honest it felt kind of like a poor knock off of To Kill A Mockingbird. Plus, it was a little too easy of a read for me. Of course my school picked this as the book for the whole school to read so they had to pick something relatively simple. There are some other reasons it bothered me but I can't quite figure out what they are.
Considering that this was written by one of my favorite college professors, I waited way too long to read it. Emmett Till's is a story that has always resonated with me, and I consider him and his mother to be heroes of the Civil Rights movement (and personal heroes as well). This was an interesting perspective of the events, and it framed it in a new way for me. The main character's struggles felt real, and I like how many of his long-held perceptions were turned on their head. I can see why
This is a very good book, and I am glad I read it. Im an adult, however. I know that some of the fictionalized events in the book, such as the torturing the fish, and later, Emmett, by R.C. are way too graphic for my 12 year old. She knows what happened to Emmett Till, and would be ok with reading the rest of the book, but reading about the violent activities of the character called R.C. would be too much.I recommend this book for middle school readers who arent overly sensitive.
I read this book in one day while substitute teaching for an eighth grade English class. It's got family drama, suspense, some unexpected twists, and important history all the way through. R.C. Rydell was repulsive yet strangely fascinating. He reminded me of Dallas in THE OUTSIDERS!The only flaw that annoyed me was that the author doesn't make much effort to write dialogue that sounds authentic to the region and the period. The mean rednecks call people "weirdos."


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.