Define Appertaining To Books Report from Planet Midnight
| Title | : | Report from Planet Midnight |
| Author | : | Nalo Hopkinson |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 112 pages |
| Published | : | July 17th 2012 by PM Press |
| Categories | : | Science Fiction. Short Stories. Fantasy. Fiction. Speculative Fiction |
Nalo Hopkinson
Paperback | Pages: 112 pages Rating: 3.95 | 417 Users | 70 Reviews
Representaion To Books Report from Planet Midnight
Infused with feminist, Afro-Caribbean views of the science fiction and fantasy genres, this collection of offbeat and highly original works takes aim at race and racism in literature. In “Report from Planet Midnight,” at the International Association of the Fantastic in the Arts, an alien addresses the crowd, evaluating Earth's "strange" customs, including the marginalization of works by nonwhite and female writers. “Message in a Bottle” shows Greg, an American Indian artist, befriending a strange four-year-old who seems wise beyond her years. While preparing an exhibition, he discovers that the young girl is a traveler from the future sent to recover art from the distant past—which apparently includes his own work. Concluding the book with series editor Terry Bisson’s Outspoken Interview, Nalo Hopkinson shares laughs, loves, and top-secret Caribbean spells.
Point Books During Report from Planet Midnight
| ISBN: | 1604864974 (ISBN13: 9781604864977) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Rating Appertaining To Books Report from Planet Midnight
Ratings: 3.95 From 417 Users | 70 ReviewsCritique Appertaining To Books Report from Planet Midnight
Having enjoyed a couple of the Outspoken Authors books, slim miscellanies taking in a writer each, I picked up a job lot in a cheap bundle, and for the first morsel from that feast I thought I'd go for the Nalo Hopkinson one, because I've only read one book by her before, and that was extremely good. As such, it could be considered unfortunate that the first piece here, Message In A Bottle, was one I'd already read in that other collection. Not so; I'm not a great rereader, as a rule, but I wasIve meant to read something by Hopkinson for a while in fact, at one point I was a chunk of the way through Midnight Robber. Im not sure what happened then; had to give it back to the library, maybe? But Ive been meaning to have another crack at it sometime soon, and this is definitely encouraging. The two short stories are well-crafted, and I especially love the voices she gives to Ariel and Caliban and Sycorax. I didnt read it as the house nigger and the field nigger, as some of the notes on
This was fascinating. It really was an odd combination of things--two short stories, a speech, and an interview--but it served as a great introduction to Hopkinson's work.I didn't much enjoy the fantasy story. It's not my thing as a genre, and it's based on The Tempest, a play I kind of hated. But I liked the sci-fi story, which had an interesting premise and a creepy child. I most enjoyed her speech and her interview, which addressed racism in the sci-fi/fantasy community and in literature as a

This short taster is a fine introduction to Nalo Hopkinsons work two short stories, a speech and an interview but all buzzing and bustling with smart, cheeky and provocative ideas that do the things good science fiction should do entertain and suggest new ways of looking and seeing. Message in a Bottle, the first of the stories, disrupts our taken for granted ideas of childhood as a time of naïve gazing at the world weaving in an apocalyptic vision and the disruptive marvel that is time
Containing 2 short stories, an interview, and a speech made after the great RaceFail '09, "Report From Planet Midnight" is a short book that makes me fall in love with Nalo Hopkinson over and over again. Hopkinson tackles race, identity, and mainstream publishing with a booming voice and steady pen. "Shift", one of the short stories, brings to mind (and uses the names of) some of the characters from Shakespeare's "The Tempest." In the interviews with Terry Bisson, Hopkinson offers a glimpse of
Nalo Hopkinson is an able writer, a courageous thinker, and a moving fabulist. This quick little book's collection of two stories, an interview, and a speech exposes the various sides of Hopkinson's writing personality to good effect, and if her speech demonstrates a contextually limited vision of theme and subject, the interview compensates in spades. Of the stories, the first is my favourite: chillingly defined, cleanly delineated, and lacking in external fluff. If you're looking for an
I have been reading this alongside Said's 'Representations of the Intellectual' and it - while unintentional - was a remarkably suitable pairing. Hopkinson's short stories are always compelling and wonderful reads, but their placement (short story, public lecture, short story, author interview) in this text grounds the story, the telling, Hopkinson as author, sci fi/fantasy as genre and political space (one that oppresses often but holds the potential for


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.