Point Epithetical Books Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital
| Title | : | Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital |
| Author | : | Heidi Squier Kraft |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 243 pages |
| Published | : | October 24th 2007 by Little Brown and Company |
| Categories | : | Nonfiction. War. Military Fiction. Autobiography. Memoir. Medical. Health. Medicine |

Heidi Squier Kraft
Hardcover | Pages: 243 pages Rating: 4.16 | 963 Users | 179 Reviews
Chronicle Supposing Books Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital
Caveat: I rated the book 5 stars because I thought it was a poignant personal memoir of a young mom in a combat zone - not because I thought the writing was amazing or the storytelling especially great. I'd have liked to read a bit more about her professional perspective as a psychologist and the psychological toll that this particular war is taking on our warriors. I was a bit surprised by her retelling the bit about the suicidal Iraqi informer working with the SF who she only reluctantly spoke with and who later was killed - she seemed rather callous about this mans fate (a man who felt like he sold his soul to collaborate with the Americans). In any case, the reason I loved this book is because it resonated with me as a simple memoir - likely a strung together set of entries from a personal diary - not an amazing piece of literature. As a young mother's modern war memoir, this is a great book. As an insightful peek into the psychological effects this war has had / is having on a generation of marines, soldiers, and Iraqis - not so much.While Heidi Squire Kraft's tale of her experience with the Marines in Al Anbar province (she was a Navy Psychologist and young mother of 15 month old twins when she was deployed) is at once gratuitously personal - which I usually find a bit cheesy - I quickly got over it because of the power of her narrative. She taps directly into the emotional punch of telling first hand the emotional trauma of war and of the tenacity and fragility of "her Marines." I couldn't put this book down until I'd finished it! It's not a glorious war memoir about subduing the bad guys but, a genuine and heart-wrenching account of the real life results of modern combat, that she and her brother and sister Naval Medical Providers encountered at her field surgical unit each day and night as those Iconic young men of our Marine Corps returned from the horrors of their dirty job in Al Anbar province Iraq in 2004. It's also a genuine and completely real peek into the personal emotions of a young mother and American Hero who walked away from her family - her babies - to do her part in the people's dirty work we call the Iraq war. We've all been exposed to the amazing and heroic young men who've given so much during this conflict, here's a story that relates the story from the perspective of a young mother who answered the same call. Semper Fi Heidi!
Full Disclosure: I'm an Army Reserve Medical Service Corps Officer who has done a tour "over there" and understands the perspective of leaving a young family here and going over there to do a job that involes supporting the medical care of warriors in combat.
Particularize Books To Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital
| Original Title: | Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital |
| ISBN: | 0316067903 (ISBN13: 9780316067904) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Rating Epithetical Books Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital
Ratings: 4.16 From 963 Users | 179 ReviewsAssess Epithetical Books Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital
I was really interested to read this, because I was originally thinking of doing basically what Dr. Kraft did (except with a degree in social work). I think my life is going to take me in a different direction, but this book certainly reminded me where that passion came from originally. Kraft is obviously proud of the people she works with and the (mostly) young Marines who are so devoted to one another and so devastated by every loss. I appreciate her openness about deeply personal matters,This is one of the most incredible, well written, books I have ever read. I feel like I know Heidi, that she was telling me this story while I sat with her. I feel like I cried with her, laughed with her, and I deeply understand that I will never, ever know what she went through. Reading this book gave me a glimpse into her seven months in Iraq, but I know that what I felt reading this book, vivid and jarring and heartfelt and human as it was, was experiencing her world through a filter of
Caveat: I rated the book 5 stars because I thought it was a poignant personal memoir of a young mom in a combat zone - not because I thought the writing was amazing or the storytelling especially great. I'd have liked to read a bit more about her professional perspective as a psychologist and the psychological toll that this particular war is taking on our warriors. I was a bit surprised by her retelling the bit about the suicidal Iraqi informer working with the SF who she only reluctantly spoke

This book moves the heart and stirs the soul like no other. In a time of uncertainty and vocal bashing of the war and the soldiers who fight for our freedoms this book is a must read. Heidi Kraft gives the civilian an unprecedented and candid look into the pride and love for our country that the men and women of our armed forces have for the US. I cried and laughed throughout this book. I urge every American citizen to read this book with an open mind, so that this nation can once again be a
I liked the way Heidi Kraft retold her experience of providing clinical care to soldiers in Iraq, as a series of short stories rather than one big story. I think it fit the style of this book better. There were times when I wished the rosy glow of nostalgia wasn't so dominant, and times when I wished she talked about less pleasant issues (like sexual assault/rape incidence) or more detailed information about the kind of care provided both during the war and after soldiers had returned home. But
Former Navy Psychologist Kraft has written a heartfelt account of her time in Iraq serving with, and aiding mostly, US Marines with psychological issues.As a man, and a former Marine, I felt some frustration in reading this book as it provides little insight into the psychological situations combat personnel confront as a result of their experiences. Of course, the other side of this perspective is that Dr.Kraft is revealing something of that which she had to deal with everyday as a giver of aid
This a book that all Americans should read. I feel because wars are fought miles away, we don't fully understand the reality of war. This book gives an honest description of what it actually means to fight in a war. It gives voices and faces to those who fight for our freedom.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.