Farewell, I'm Bound to Leave You 
This book is a gem. A mother and grandmother tell a young boy stories about various women in their small mountain community. Full of humor and of the flavorful speech I grew up with and seldom hear nowadays ("a shirttail youngun," "she's so mischievious she'll stir up the ashes just to see the sparks fly"). But it also contains, on every page, so much love and such rich feelings. Highly recommended. this is one that will NOT go to the book sale.
A mother, Annie, lies dying, attended to by her daughter Cora. Cora's son Jess retells the stories of women Annie and Cora have known in their lives...some sad, some funny, some strong, but all remarkable.

I have mixed feelings about "Farewell I'm Bound to Leave You: Stories" by Fred Chappell. Some of the stories I adored. Some I found uninteresting. I think for this book that's something that's valuable to keep in mind. It's a collection of stories. Some stories may resonate and others won't.
This is a book so beautifully written you want to read it out loud - preferably to someone. If you have favorite books that you read and read again throughout your lifetime, this is a likely candidate, especially if you value southern writers and characters.This book along with Chappell's Look Back All the Green Valley, I Am One of You Forever,and Brighten the Corner Where You Are, is a book I read and re-read.
This novel is actually a series of short stories tied together by a grandmother's death and a grandson's and daughter's memories. The stories are about simple people who are much more complex than they seem. This is an enjoyable read, one that brought back fond memories for me.
A strange read. The stories are often odd; some are touching or humorous. The language is often poetic, which is kind of fun. Although this was an interesting book, it often feels like sitting in on a gossip session. Also, the way it is written is disjointed without a really continuous, captivating story, making it easy to set down and walk away from for extended periods.
Fred Chappell
Hardcover | Pages: 228 pages Rating: 4.19 | 346 Users | 41 Reviews

Describe Books In Favor Of Farewell, I'm Bound to Leave You
| Original Title: | Farewell, I'm Bound to Leave You: Stories |
| ISBN: | 0312146000 (ISBN13: 9780312146009) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Commentary Conducive To Books Farewell, I'm Bound to Leave You
Jess Kirkman's grandmother is dying, and as her family gathers around her, Jess remembers the tales she and his mother have passed down to him. In preparing Jess to become a man, these stories assemble a chorus of women's voices that sing and share and celebrate the common song of life. This is a magical novel of women's wisdom passed down through generations of storytelling. national ads/media.Mention Out Of Books Farewell, I'm Bound to Leave You
| Title | : | Farewell, I'm Bound to Leave You |
| Author | : | Fred Chappell |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 228 pages |
| Published | : | September 1st 1996 by Picador USA (first published 1996) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Short Stories. American. Southern |
Rating Out Of Books Farewell, I'm Bound to Leave You
Ratings: 4.19 From 346 Users | 41 ReviewsEvaluation Out Of Books Farewell, I'm Bound to Leave You
TCL Call Number: F ChappellMary's rating: 4 starsThis character-driven novel takes place in the early 20th century in Appalachia. It has an interesting perspective twist, with a young man's take on local women's stories he learns through the gossip of his mother and grandmother. Each chapter represents a different kind of woman based on their skillsets or attributes.This book is a gem. A mother and grandmother tell a young boy stories about various women in their small mountain community. Full of humor and of the flavorful speech I grew up with and seldom hear nowadays ("a shirttail youngun," "she's so mischievious she'll stir up the ashes just to see the sparks fly"). But it also contains, on every page, so much love and such rich feelings. Highly recommended. this is one that will NOT go to the book sale.
A mother, Annie, lies dying, attended to by her daughter Cora. Cora's son Jess retells the stories of women Annie and Cora have known in their lives...some sad, some funny, some strong, but all remarkable.

I have mixed feelings about "Farewell I'm Bound to Leave You: Stories" by Fred Chappell. Some of the stories I adored. Some I found uninteresting. I think for this book that's something that's valuable to keep in mind. It's a collection of stories. Some stories may resonate and others won't.
This is a book so beautifully written you want to read it out loud - preferably to someone. If you have favorite books that you read and read again throughout your lifetime, this is a likely candidate, especially if you value southern writers and characters.This book along with Chappell's Look Back All the Green Valley, I Am One of You Forever,and Brighten the Corner Where You Are, is a book I read and re-read.
This novel is actually a series of short stories tied together by a grandmother's death and a grandson's and daughter's memories. The stories are about simple people who are much more complex than they seem. This is an enjoyable read, one that brought back fond memories for me.
A strange read. The stories are often odd; some are touching or humorous. The language is often poetic, which is kind of fun. Although this was an interesting book, it often feels like sitting in on a gossip session. Also, the way it is written is disjointed without a really continuous, captivating story, making it easy to set down and walk away from for extended periods.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.