Point Books In Favor Of Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur
| Original Title: | Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur |
| ISBN: | 0875080847 (ISBN13: 9780875080840) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Frank L. Houghton
Paperback | Pages: 432 pages Rating: 4.26 | 94 Users | 13 Reviews
Interpretation To Books Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur
"We went to see an old lady who was very ill. She had not heard the Gospel before, but was willing and eager to listen. So I spoke and Misaki San translated, and our hearts prayed most earnestly. `Lord Jesus, help her. O help her to understand and open her heart to Thee now.' She seemed to be just about to turn to Him in faith when she suddenly noticed my hands. It was cold weather and I had on fur gloves. `What are these?' she asked, stretching out her hand and touching mine. She was old and ill and easily distracted. I cannot remember whether or not we were able to recall her to what mattered so much more than gloves. But this I do remember. I went home, took off my English clothes, put on my Japanese kimono, and never again, I trust, risked so very much for the sake of so little."
Details About Books Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur
| Title | : | Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur |
| Author | : | Frank L. Houghton |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 432 pages |
| Published | : | July 1st 1980 by CLC Publications (first published 1953) |
| Categories | : | Biography. Christian. Nonfiction |
Rating About Books Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur
Ratings: 4.26 From 94 Users | 13 ReviewsCriticize About Books Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur
Incredible story of an amazing woman and the incomparable God she served. How fitting that the last line of the book was a hymn of praise to God. The writing was a little slow at times, but I appreciated all the stories of her life and the excerpts from her letters and journals. I didn't realize she accomplished so much in Ireland before even reaching India, and I had no idea of her long confinement before finally being released from the earth.A life-impacting book about a woman who made an inmpact for God. I don't know how it rates as a biographical work, but I do know the qoutes in this book by Amy Carmichael and her poetry changed my life the first time i read it. I read excerpts from it often.
I had to read a Biography of a Christian for a Bible Class and I chose Amy Carmichael. I had a hard time getting into reading this book, but when I finally did, I was happy I had bought the book. Along with all the information, it includes a lot of her poems and it was an inspirational read about a woman living her life for Christ and putting her complete trust in God for all things as she rescued babies and children from being "married to the gods" in India at the turn of the century. It led me

In earlier readings, I liked this biography better than Elisabeth Elliot's "A Chance to Die." This time around, the writing style felt stiff and perhaps overly reverent of the subject.I still find it the best Amy Carmichael biography in its liberal use of primary sources, especially private notes and letters written within the Dohnavur Community. Much, much wisdom there.She is my favorite heroine. I can't wrap my mind around the spectacular work she's done in India in the early 1900s on an issue that we are still now trying to fight: child prostitution. It reminds what greatness in a life requires and the blood-and-gut sacrifices we have to make. To me, she best exemplifies Calvary love.
This is one of my all-time favorite Christian biographies. Amy's life and writings are an inspiration to walk more closely with God.
Lovely book that is easy to read. A great example of a life lead in faithfulness to God and his leading.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.