Describe About Books Raising Demons (Jacksons #2)
| Title | : | Raising Demons (Jacksons #2) |
| Author | : | Shirley Jackson |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 310 pages |
| Published | : | November 1st 1994 by Academy Chicago Publishers (first published 1957) |
| Categories | : | Autobiography. Memoir. Nonfiction. Humor. Biography |
Shirley Jackson
Paperback | Pages: 310 pages Rating: 4.18 | 1641 Users | 177 Reviews
Narration Conducive To Books Raising Demons (Jacksons #2)
Raising Demons is a seamless sequel to Life Among the Savages and just as good. Maybe better. The story continues shortly after the other left off, with various anecdotes about raising Laurie, Sally, Jannie and Barry.Shirley's observant eye for humor in everyday life shines brilliantly, with simple prose that feels homey and familiar. You love her, her children and all the characters involved. Best of all, she isn't afraid to poke fun at herself. The bit about the birthday card is a knee-slapping good time. When the book ends, you want to cry because these people have become so important in your life that you can't imagine not hearing about the next story, the next hilarious misadventure.
Life Among the Savages and Raising Demons are so distinctly different from Jackson's most famous works (Hill House, Castle, The Lottery) that it's sad to imagine what vast bibliography she could have written had she not been taken from the world so soon. Nevertheless, she accomplished more than most writers could dream for with a handful of brilliant novels, short stories and memoirs.
The new audio productions for these memoirs are particularly fabulous. Hard to imagine, but for a long time the majority of Shirley's works were out-of-print and hard to find. Thankfully, a recent resurgence of interest manged to bring everything back. Finally there's recognition that her non-Hill House works are superb as well. Culture may change, but the pain, joy, cruelty, humor and terror she wrote about remains timeless.

Present Books Supposing Raising Demons (Jacksons #2)
| Original Title: | Raising Demons |
| ISBN: | 0897334132 (ISBN13: 9780897334136) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | Jacksons #2 |
Rating About Books Raising Demons (Jacksons #2)
Ratings: 4.18 From 1641 Users | 177 ReviewsArticle About Books Raising Demons (Jacksons #2)
You can choose friends, but you GET family.Shirley Jackson relates her adventures in bringing up her children. This story continues directly from her "Life among the Savages".On talking with foreignersI strongly suppressed a basic superstition which came unbidden to my mind (if you talk loud enough you can make them understand) and said, very softly, And how long have you been here, Mr. Lopez?He looked surprised, and thought. Ten minute? he said at last, tentatively.No, no. How long have youI needed something light (and also light weight) for bedtime since I'm at Mount Doom in The Lord of the Rings and not only is the journey stressful, but the book might crush me if I fell asleep reading it.I was perusing my shelves and came across this old favorite which was just what I needed. Written with all of Jackson's usual skill, it is a complete opposite to her better known horror works (The Lottery, The Haunting of Hill House). This book about life with her family may call to mind
I absolutely loved this sequel to Living Among the Savages. Still just as charming and funny, I loved seeing a glimpse into the life of one of my favorite authors. Her stories are still told with the same wry wit and chilling grasp on human nature. I will definitely reread these!

Raising Demons is a seamless sequel to Life Among the Savages and just as good. Maybe better. The story continues shortly after the other left off, with various anecdotes about raising Laurie, Sally, Jannie and Barry.Shirley's observant eye for humor in everyday life shines brilliantly, with simple prose that feels homey and familiar. You love her, her children and all the characters involved. Best of all, she isn't afraid to poke fun at herself. The bit about the birthday card is a
I could not be-LIEVE how funny this was. This was an incredible, insightful, highly personal family memoir. I didn't realize that I should have read 'Life Among the Savages' first, as it is chronologically antecedent. But that failure didn't diminish my enjoyment. I knew Shirley Jackson was one of the most gifted writers in the horror genre, establishing much of the modern tone and possessing one of the most distinctive, poetic, and lyrical voices the genre has ever seen. But I am
I love these kids <3
Shirley Jackson is my new hero and I'm declaring 2016 my year of her. In Raising Demons, the sequel to Life Among the Savages, Jackson continues her narrative on motherhood, life in a small Vermont town, and raising children (the 'savages' from the previous book who have now all grown to be 'demons', her four children: Laurie, Jannie, Sally, and Barry). Jackson describes their move to a new home, small crises with kitchen appliances, her eldest son's foray into Little League, her daughter's


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.