List Epithetical Books James Thurber: 92 Stories
| Title | : | James Thurber: 92 Stories |
| Author | : | James Thurber |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 522 pages |
| Published | : | June 14th 1994 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1990) |
| Categories | : | Humor. Short Stories. Fiction. Classics. Anthologies |

James Thurber
Hardcover | Pages: 522 pages Rating: 4.21 | 182 Users | 19 Reviews
Commentary During Books James Thurber: 92 Stories
This book was my bedtime reading for several months; it contains stories from several of James Thurber’s short story collections, but oddly does not contain “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”. Even so, Thurber makes wonderful reading, at bedtime or any other time.I do not know who coined the term “the war between the sexes”, but Thurber’s characters not only believe that there is such a war, but that women are winning. Thurber’s men are diffident, argumentative, and submissive to their women; Thurber’s women are opinionated, forthright, and inevitably get their way. Many of the short stories are observations on facets of ordinary life that go awry. Others deal with Thurber’s humorous views of self-help books, which appear to have changed not at all from his time to ours (the latest stories in this collection having been published in 1937). Finally, it must be noted that the collection contains hundreds of Thurber’s doodles of men, women, dogs, and other assorted creatures and things.
This collection was a joy to read, and I am very glad to have this in my personal library.
Define Books As James Thurber: 92 Stories
| Original Title: | James Thurber: 92 Stories |
| ISBN: | 0517118866 (ISBN13: 9780517118863) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Rating Epithetical Books James Thurber: 92 Stories
Ratings: 4.21 From 182 Users | 19 ReviewsWeigh Up Epithetical Books James Thurber: 92 Stories
Thurber is one of the most consistently enjoyable writers I've ever come across, and this collection was well worth the time. From the "battle of the sexes" chronicles to the explorations of husbandly daydreaming, from the hilarious "Pet department" Q&A piece to the still-relevant "Let Your Mind Alone!" lampooning of self-help authors, I just loved this book. And the drawing of the horse peeking from behind the curtains makes me laugh out loud every time I see it.If you dont know anything about James Thurber except that his name is familiar, you might want to start your acquaintance by watching the 2013 remake of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, directed by and starring Ben Stiller. This classic Thurber short story was also dramatized on film in 1947 with Danny Kaye, but Thurber hated it. No one knows if he hated the 2013 version.However, if the wry humor of these movies appeals to you, or if you enjoy the so-called War between the Sexes, then you want
I originally heard of John Thurber from reading "The New Yorker." I was thrilled to be snooping around my parents bookshelves only to find this collection of short stories!! I have really been enjoying them!!

If I had three wishes, I think I would spend one on meeting James Thurber. I just love everything he does. I OD'd a little on this one near the end, trying to finish it quickly, but if you read it in moderation, his little pieces are nearly perfect. The story "One is a Wanderer" shocked me in a good way, dark and sad amid so many laughs.
I picked this up at a yard sale on the basis of having read one of the stories in high school. "The Greatest Man in the World" was then, and is now, a great short story.I started this book, which is mostly short stories and essays written and published in shorter volumes, and zipped thru the first 300 pages. After that however... I really got bogged down in the idiosyncratic style. I was never too excited to pick it up again. It might have helped if they hadn't predominantly been written in the
Some of these stories I like and others I felt like were a little dated. I actually have read some of these a long time ago or my dad read some of these to me before. I liked the stories about writing and animals the best. He has some stories about marriage that I didn't really care for. This book is also a quick read. There are a lot of illustrations drawn by Thurber himself. If you need a good laugh or in need of something light Thurber is a good choice.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.